Monday, October 26, 2015

Walt Whitman Poem Reflection


I celebrate myself, and sing myself,

I loafe and invite my soul,

Creeds and schools in abeyance,
Retiring back a while sufficed at what they are, but never
forgotten,
I harbor for good or bad, I permit to speak at every 
hazard,
Nature without check with original energy.

I feel that this poem conveys that Whitman is a spiritual man who tries to engulf himself in nature whenever he can. He celebrates the beauty of life and the unity of man. Furthermore, the poem shows that he holds a patriotic national identity as well as an overall connection between people all over the world. In addition, he says that all men are connected and should therefore learn from one another. The poem aims to teach us the importance of nature and its close relation with humanity. For example, he says that while an initial education may be important, the truly important lessons in life are figured out by experiencing nature. Lastly, he believes that humanity should not interfere with the course of nature whether it is good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment